The Steps to Freeing The Hops Have Begun!FTH introduced one bill for the 2012 legislative session, in both the House and the Senate:
Gourmet Bottle Bill (HB264, SB294)
Gourmet Bottle Bill
This legislation will change the 16 fluid oz. limit on beer sold in Alabama to 25.4 fluid oz. The 25.4 number was chosen because it would allow for 22 oz. and 750 mL bottle sizes - the two most common bottle sizes for high-end specialty beers.
FTH will introduce two statewide Bills before the Alabama legislature for the 2012 session, one before the Senate and one before the House of Representatives. Only one of these bills (either House or Senate) needed to pass through both for change to take place. SB294 was signed into law by Gov. Bentley on May 16, 2012.
Having two bills was a strategy recommended by our lobbyist. By having identical bills in both houses, debate on our issue can happen in either house at any point during the session, rather than being forced until late in the session when it might be eclipsed by other political matters. So we go through the same process in both houses of the legislature at approximately the same time.
The Steps to Freeing The Hops via HB264
Our House bill did not pass this year, but our Senate bill managed to make it through both houses.
The Steps to Freeing The Hops via SB294:
- Introduce SB294 and get a first reading on the floor of the Senate - Complete!
- Pass the Senate Job Creation and Economic Development committee and get second reading on the floor of the Senate - Complete!
- Pass a Senate Budget Isolation Resolution (BIR) vote with a 2/3rd supermajority - Complete!
- Pass a vote for final passage with a simple majority and get a third reading on the floor of the Senate - Complete!
- Introduce SB294 and get a first reading on the floor of the House - Complete!
- Pass the House Economic Development and Tourism committee - Complete!
- Get second reading on the floor of the House - Complete!
- Pass a House Budget Isolation Resolution vote with a 2/3rd supermajority - Complete!
- Pass a vote for final passage with a simple majority and a get a third reading on the floor of the House - Complete!
- Signature by the Governor, or the bill will become law without his signature - Complete!
You can help!
- Call or write your Representative and Senator today to ask them to support these bills
- Join Free the Hops
- Subscribe to our newsletter (we'll send out updates and calls for action through it)
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook and help spread the word
- Always know what's happening - there are plenty of online places to get our news!