Homebrew legalization fails

After some lively debate, HB266 failed a floor vote today 28-45. I’m really quite confused. Some of the No votes don’t even make sense. We’ll put the vote results in the Find Your Legislator tool shortly.

HB266 is not a Free the Hops bill.

This entry was posted in House. Bookmark the permalink. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.

15 Comments

1. Hal
    Posted April 26, 2011 at 11:31 pm | Permalink

the bible thumpers have done it again… good thing christs wine was not brewed in ALABAMA!!!

2. Brent Wilson
    Posted April 26, 2011 at 11:34 pm | Permalink

Looks like the jesus freaks got their wish. No families will be destroyed by home brewed beer now.

3. Rich Edmondson
    Posted April 27, 2011 at 6:54 am | Permalink

Lies about what the legislation allows and characterization of homebrewers as the equivalent of meth lab operators is not “lively debate”.

4. Scott Oberman
    Posted April 27, 2011 at 7:10 am | Permalink

Talk about not making sense, 10 or the co-sponsors did NOT VOTE YES. 6 actually voted against a bill they sponsored. You can only imagine our anger and disappointment over this.

Of the sponsors there were 2 Abstentions, 4 Passes, and 6 No’s. If every one of the sponsors had voted Yes it would’ve passed (unless they then adjusted for the two the supposedly meant to vote No instead of Yes and Pass).

Boothe, Faust, Brown, Chesteen, Canfield, and Scott are all listed as co-sponsors but voted No. Anyone in their districts want to call and give them a piece of your mind?

5. Duane
    Posted April 27, 2011 at 5:55 pm | Permalink

Don’t show YOUR ignorance. Me and my Christian brothers love beer. I home brew too.

6. Jesse K
    Posted April 28, 2011 at 8:17 am | Permalink

According to Alvin Holmes of Mongtomery, homebrewers are “trashy” and we enable our children to drink. Personally, if it takes me 10 hours to brew a triple decocted pilsner then I have to wait a minimum of 2 months to drink it, I will barely give it away to another adult to drink let alone my kids. It’s sad that people listened to him, and also sad that McCutcheon didn’t fight for it as much as he could have.

7. Jonathan
    Posted April 28, 2011 at 2:04 pm | Permalink

Where can we hear the audio for this or see a transcript?

• Posted April 28, 2011 at 5:40 pm | Permalink

I’ll try to get something up in a few days. Many of us are in tornado mode right now.

• Posted April 29, 2011 at 9:41 am | Permalink
      • Jake
        Posted April 30, 2011 at 1:54 pm | Permalink

This is entertaining! The last time I say this type of ignorance and religious oppression was when I spent a year in Afghanistan! I just have one question, what is M-E-A-D?!!!!

• Paul Michaelson
        Posted May 2, 2011 at 3:33 am | Permalink

Mead is basically the first “beers” invented. It uses the same ingredients and it typically very sweet and typically delicious. It also is about 3X the srtength of beer on the alcohol scale…..so find mead and rock out. BTW Thank you for putting pressure on Osama bin Layed the F**k-out!

• Jonathan
      Posted May 5, 2011 at 10:44 am | Permalink

Thanks for the link, it seems that we have a long way to go on educating our representatives. I don’t see how sanitation or is an issue. Do people at home have to get the health department to check their food they cook? The beer tastes pretty bad if things aren’t clean anyway. There were plenty of other problems but that was just one.

8. Logan Brandt
    Posted May 1, 2011 at 11:47 pm | Permalink

Just listened to the mp3 in its entirety and all I have to say is: pathetic. With the exception of the bill’s sponsor, who sounds like a stand-up guy, I can’t believe the stupidity of these representatives. Truly pathetic.

9. Paul Michaelson
    Posted May 2, 2011 at 3:29 am | Permalink

Hey Rich Edmondson, I suspect you guys will win your battle because micro’s populatity is ever increasing and with the “Jesus tax” correcting “Sin tax” in Alabama would provide a good deal of revenue. I mean it would be a pain in the ass for the IRS, but those buggers will find you regardless of you brewing 201 gallons vs. 1 million. My heart goes out to all of you Alabamians.
    Even Georgia reformed it’s alcohol content/brewery laws. When I attended UGA about 8 years ago I was semi-micro ignorant, but we did have a brewpub in Burnstone turned CopperCreek. Then I started to visit what I thought was a Graduate student bar and found Terrapin RPA on tap. I used to go and state “I’ll have a Terrapin” because it was their only beer and now the have done 20-30+. I appologize for my ramblings…….Roll Legislation….and Tide.

10. Jonathan Lizenby
    Posted May 4, 2011 at 10:27 pm | Permalink

It is very apparent that the sponsor of the bill is not equipped to deal with the ignorant ranting from our elected officials.

Laird, Wallace, Holmes vote these guys out

I knew these idiots would compare homebrewing to bootlegging.