WE PASSED! Now Call/Fax/Email Governor Riley

Just before 3:00pm today, the Alabama Senate passed HB373.  Success.  Vindication.  The blood, sweat, and tears of all of our many supporters paid off.

BUT.  We are at a point where we must have the Governor’s signature for our bill to become law.

We need to do everything we can to encourage the Governor to sign our bill. That’s why we’re asking everyone in the state who values personal freedom and who thinks the Alabama government should stop telling us which beers are ok to drink and which ones we can’t handle to contact Governor Riley immediately. By phone, fax, or email, whatever works best for you.

We’ve even had one of his former staffers give us some tips on how best to go about this:

The volume of letters and phone calls that he receives on a particular issue is reported to him every morning, and he takes them seriously. … A couple quick points:

• They have a pretty sophisticated constituent database, so multiple calls/mail from the same person won’t accomplish much. They report to him the number of persons, not the number of communications.
  • Any arguments that sounds like something the gambling folks would say should be avoided (“People go over state lines to do it anyway…”). You don’t want to equate yourself with those guys in his mind.
  • Arguments about personal liberty and economic development will probably have more sway.
    Pointing out the surrounding states that allow it will also be helpful. The fact that GA, NC, SC, and WV have passed these bills in the past couple years is persuasive.

Just keep it short and to the point.  Let him know you support the bill and why.

Here’s contact information for the Governor’s office:

Switchboard:  (334) 242-7100
Fax:  (334) 353-0004
Email form:  http://www.governor.alabama.gov/contact/contact_form.aspx

Don’t hesitate!  We haven’t come this far only to suffer a veto now.  Make sure Gov. Riley knows the people of Alabama want him to sign HB373 into law.

Thank you to everyone who has gotten us to this point.  Time to seal the deal.

This entry was posted in Brewfests, information, politics. Bookmark the permalink. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.

78 Comments

1. Katie
    Posted May 14, 2009 at 5:46 pm | Permalink

Emailed Riley! My friends have called in support today as well, and I will post the link to his email form on my twitter. *crossing fingers*!

2. Jonathan Lizenby
    Posted May 14, 2009 at 5:53 pm | Permalink

Emailed Riley. Bham brew fest should be a good one now.

3. Jordan Carroll
    Posted May 14, 2009 at 6:15 pm | Permalink

Emailed Riley, got my fiance to do so, and will be getting friends and family to do so ASAP. Let’s make this final push and get this sucker passed!

4. Jason Brinley
    Posted May 14, 2009 at 6:44 pm | Permalink

So when is the deadline for him to sign this bill before it is considered dead? Also, if it does go into effect, when will the distributors be able to start bringing our beers into the state?

5. mostexcellent
    Posted May 14, 2009 at 6:48 pm | Permalink

Great news!
    Now it’s time for Free The Herb!

6. Allana
    Posted May 14, 2009 at 6:51 pm | Permalink

Spread the word – the more the merrier!

7. Aaron
    Posted May 14, 2009 at 7:05 pm | Permalink

I called and got a VM so I emailed just to be safe. I also emailed for my wife and urged family and friends to do the same. I’ll be all over the MCBF if they get the big beer in there.

8. Russ
    Posted May 15, 2009 at 12:20 am | Permalink

Congrats to all!!

Magic City brewfest will be so incredible if this passes. Hopefully we can get in some last minute additions to the lineup of some brewers who wouldnt bother coming if they cant bring their full line up.

Oh I cant wait, all the distributers should have the bigger stuff in too before the fall and winter seasonal big bears start to hit. This winter promises to be a “toasty” one.

9. Posted May 15, 2009 at 5:44 am | Permalink

I also emailed him regarding this bill. I am a light drinker, only once or twice a year myself, but I believe in personal freedoms! :)

10. Richard
    Posted May 15, 2009 at 7:20 am | Permalink

Left Riley a message.

11. John
    Posted May 15, 2009 at 7:47 am | Permalink

Emailed the Gov

• Branson
      Posted May 15, 2009 at 8:41 am | Permalink

mmmm….Arrogant Bastard.

• Nick
        Posted May 15, 2009 at 2:51 pm | Permalink

LOL. I hope this was supposed to be under Gunner’s entry below.

12. Gunner
    Posted May 15, 2009 at 7:53 am | Permalink

Just emailed Riley. I found out about the bill passage while sitting in a FL bar savoring a pint of Arrogant Bastard draught. Maybe by this time next year I’ll be doing the same in AL.

13. Will Sheppard
    Posted May 15, 2009 at 8:30 am | Permalink

Danner, do we call daily? It sounds like the switchboard at the Gov’s office was overwhelmed yesterday, and she didn’t even care to get my name. Do they have a record of phone numbers that call?

I just want to call as much as possible, if it will help, but I don’t want to waste time (or an open phone line that could do some good).

Thanks!

14. Dana
    Posted May 15, 2009 at 8:34 am | Permalink

Emailed the governor. Hope he signs it.

15. me
    Posted May 15, 2009 at 3:00 pm | Permalink

Email sent!

16. Glenn Hummer
    Posted May 15, 2009 at 4:52 pm | Permalink

Emailed the governor asking him to please FREE THE HOPS

17. Posted May 23, 2009 at 12:44 pm | Permalink

I like your post. Good stuff. Keep them coming :)

4 Trackbacks

1. [...] very end.  That someone voted “aye” for him leaves a smile on my face.  Here’s the next (hopefully final) step in the process: We need to do everything we can to encourage the Governor to either sign our bill. [...]

2. [...] office: Switchboard: (334) 242-7100 Email form: State of Alabama – Office of Governor Bob Riley Free The Hops | Alabamians For Specialty Beer [+] Rate this post [...]

3. [...] office: Switchboard: (334) 242-7100 Email form: State of Alabama – Office of Governor Bob Riley Free The Hops | Alabamians For Specialty Beer [+] Rate this post [...]

4. [...] also meeting at the the J.Clyde, which has been very supportive of the Free the Hops legislation we’ve been working so hard on in [...]